Yes, Scrap NYSC

Every time someone says something edging towards the direction to Nysc being scrapped, someone somewhere will rise up and say “please allow me serve and receive allawee before they scrap it”. It happens every year.

I’ve never fancied the idea of graduating from the university and proceeding to wear uniform with other people for a year in the name of serving the country. It took being pestered a lot by my father to apply for this scheme and when I got posted to Ekiti instead of Lagos like I had envisaged, I was mad. My documents read that I was a Lagos corper camping in Ekiti for three weeks because of the covid 19 restrictions.

Everyone seemed to have something to say to me when I announced that I was going to be serving. The worst of them all had to be “free your mind and enjoy it, it’s the best thing that will ever happen to you”. How can it be that waking up everyday at 4am to start my day would be the best thing to ever happen to me? It didn’t help that they had to blow that loud godforsaken thing to make us assemble.

As someone who starts her day off with a lot of silence, I found it really disturbing that I had to be forced to wake up that early during harmattan szn because “discipline”, I didn’t get used to it contrary to what people told me. It got worse for me everyday till the seventh day when I left. It didn’t help that I was being picked on by three out of the many authorities for daring to ask a question they did not like. Those were the worst seven days of my life and I really wouldn’t wish it on my enemies.

There are people who would readily enjoy marching under the hot sun for hours to perfect “the March”,

⁃ sit through lectures of people coming in to say the same thing over and over again.

⁃ stand through queuing for food that almost usually wasn’t worth it (almost because the bread was usually always soft)

⁃ stand through the parade under the bloody hot sun while the state government representatives slurs out words slowly while people faint in the field.

⁃ Listen through being told that your father is a bastard and maybe be made to repeat it simply because you didn’t run when the soldiers asked you to.

⁃ Get mocked for refusing to be a hard lifer because Nigeria is already hard enough as it is and there’s no reason to compete in best in suffering as a citizen.

⁃ Sit through being told that NYSC wasn’t responsible for you welfare and safety outside the camp, I mean if you get kidnapped in your uniform while in service to the country, it’s over for you because the Nysc body doesn’t negotiate with kidnappers.

It gets worse.

If your kidnappers offered to rape you as a buyout, you had to give in because again, NYSC as a scheme wouldn’t negotiate for your release. This was just a drop in the ocean of crazy things that was said in camp (check my highlights for video proof)

I came out and assumed that it would get easier, come to find out that it’s even crazier out here. You see the one they call CDS? I despise it a lot because it’s just me leaving my house to sit under the canopy and listen to people read things from google word for word and getting billed for things that absolutely do not concern me. Why do we have to pay to change the table, chair or door in a government owned office?

I currently have a friend serving in Yobe state, every time the news of people getting kidnapped or killed in the North and it’s environs come up, my heart does a double flip because we already know that if by any chance anything happens to corpers in that state, we’re on our own so when ever we pray for our friends, we pray extra hard for the ones in the Northern states because we no want wahala.

I could go on and on but I really should stop. By the time you read this, I’ll probably be in traffic on my way to the CDS or I’ll be at CDS asking myself why I left the house today. Either ways, I hope this was a good read for you.

Tell me in the comment section:

WHAT WAS YOUR NYSC EXPERIENCE LIKE?

IF YOU’VE NOT HAD IT YET, WHAT ARE YOU EXPECTING FROM THE SCHEME?

1. Tosin May 26, 2021 at 9:05 am

Left to me I have no intention to serve this country but then remembering that my parents have a say in things like this just makes me want to cry. I’m trying to think about one good thing about NYSC and bruh I have nothing. Really hoping they scrap it because I have to go. Life is already hard enough biko

1. Tosin May 26, 2021 at 9:06 am

*before

2. Osas - Site Author May 26, 2021 at 6:45 pm

Omooo

2. Margs May 26, 2021 at 10:17 am

Tbvh Nysc is sufferhead. Was posted to anambra and every single day I’ll call
    My dad and cry over the phone. Because I was tired under the sun in the rain. I basically wanted to leave.

1. Osas - Site Author May 26, 2021 at 6:45 pm

I hate that under the sun, under the rain rubbish

3. Ossai faith May 26, 2021 at 10:46 am

I’m literally going through the same thing and honestly the days go by slowly and it’s frustrating and sickening I’m also tired of hearing people assume I’m having fun there’s nothing fun about camp at all

1. Osas - Site Author May 26, 2021 at 6:45 pm

People assume a whole lot of rubbish when you’re in camp. I don’t know who sent them to be using their lives to measure other people’s own

4. Jessica Orishane May 26, 2021 at 2:05 pm

I was always disgusted when they’d say if we get kidnapped it’s not their responsibility, when then drag us from our respective states when insecurity is on the high. Anyways October is coming soon and we’ll be done my love

1. Osas - Site Author May 26, 2021 at 6:44 pm

It’s November, bebe

5. Abisola Nene May 26, 2021 at 2:12 pm

I’m so thankful I went for service year during the COVID. Spent 8 days in camp and we were sent back home, that was the most beautiful thing that happened to me in 2020 even though my camp was really comfortable (Ogun camp). I didn’t experience CDS, No clearance for the greater part of the service year, I think I only did 3 clearance. I didn’t even report to my PPA not until 5 months to the end of the program.

1. Osas - Site Author May 26, 2021 at 6:44 pm

Are you not lucky

6. Oge May 26, 2021 at 2:49 pm

Wahala for who wan serve him fatherland oo.
    The stories I’ve heard are not convincing at all but which ever hand government bring; we go follow up.

1. Osas - Site Author May 26, 2021 at 6:43 pm

Lmao

7. Ruona May 26, 2021 at 6:42 pm

I actually want to serve but God knows I’m scared.
    I honestly can’t compete for best in suffering please.

1. Osas - Site Author May 26, 2021 at 6:43 pm

Omo serve for aesthetic purposes if you really want to

8. Senami May 26, 2021 at 6:48 pm

Not even the money, nothing encouraged me about Nysc. I hate that scheme so much. Luckily for me I didn’t do CDS because of COVID, I also stayed in camp for 4 days.

1. Osas - Site Author May 26, 2021 at 6:48 pm

Lmao you wey no get government strenght

9. Subomi May 26, 2021 at 8:23 pm

I’m still in my second year and I still have 4+ more years to go (med school stuff) and I HOPE that NYSC is scrapped by the time I’m done.

It has turned to a prayer point at this point because that scheme is just synonymous to suffering at this point.

1. Osas - Site Author May 27, 2021 at 6:47 pm

I was praying this prayer point in year one

10. Jumai May 26, 2021 at 9:51 pm

I’m not going. I won’t miss the experience at all!

1. Osas - Site Author May 27, 2021 at 6:47 pm

Go so you’ll have something to rant about

11. Tife May 27, 2021 at 9:54 am

You’re making me want to have a change of mind , OMO!!!!

1. Osas - Site Author May 27, 2021 at 6:46 pm

Lmao that was the plan but go sha. Let it not be like I made you do what you’re not supposed to do

12. Tee May 27, 2021 at 2:40 pm

NYSC was hell for me in Delta.I also spent seven days and planned a great strategy and left. I barely had breaks, I couldn’t eat well, ad they said I was going to regret, I’m still waiting for the regret sha.

1. Osas - Site Author May 27, 2021 at 6:45 pm

Lmao when I left, people kept hitting me up with “you’re missing o”. Me that I was in my white room on clean bedsheets, they wanted to use camp to gara for me?

13. Nanya May 27, 2021 at 3:50 pm

Whenever someone asks me about NYSC, what comes to my mind is “it’s a nightmare”. It was crazy in camp. I went in March, got posted to the north but I relocated back to my state. Just like you, I hate going for CDS. I was happy when I saw on the news that NYSC is considered being scraped!
    I don’t enjoy going to my PPA. NYSC feels like a waste of 1 year.
    Bottom line, I hate it!

1. Osas - Site Author May 27, 2021 at 6:45 pm

Someone gets it!!

14. purple moon June 8, 2021 at 1:42 pm

I totally agree with everything you said. I was posted to Benue state ( like wtf), the journey to the camp and from camp to Abuja( to take a flight back to Lagos) was horrible, I hated camp with everything, hated it all. The service year gan was nonsense cheap labor.

NYSC should be scrapped. They need to stop endangering the youth, then billing us and treating us like we are not human.

A lot of those staff members that will withhold your file or make you pay for shit, need to be punched in the face.

Oloshi Humans.

15. Favour June 14, 2021 at 12:14 am

I’m currently serving in Akwa Ibom state. To be honest, I really was anticipating to getting posted cos I just wanted to do something. I was losing my mind from staying at home and swimming in the ocean of ‘brokenness’
    Camp was stressful, make I no even lie but it was fun for me too. It’s the after camp shit that’s annoying! Why tf am I teaching?! I should be in a radio station, TV channel or something that has to do with mass communication for God’s sake!
    Truth of the matter is, if I had some sort of job or business, nothing go make me do NYSC.
    About scrapping NYSC, I don’t think it’s utterly fair cos not everyone has their shit all figured out (LIKE MEEEE). So, NYSC is like a thinking ground where you figure out what you want to do with your life
    Instead, it shouldn’t be made compulsory.
    Las las, God no go shame us.

16. Daniella Haastrup June 25, 2021 at 8:26 am

Omgggggg I relate to evetehing in this post. Every thing but you see that part where you were like people told you to “free your mind & enjoy” I relate to it PA! People told me this before camp, people told me this during camp and people are still telling me this after camp. I hated hated everything about camp. I hate everything about post camp. The uniform is ugly and uncomfortable, the NYSC staff are mean to the bone. I’m so glad you shared your experience bevause now I feel less alone I thought I was the weird one for not being able to “free my mind & enjoy”. Also forgive me if there are any grammatical errors in this your post just got me so excited & I was ready to do a whole word dump