, ,

I lost my identity. Again!!!

If you people had told me that dyeing my hair would mean being rejected by God, I would have not tried it.

Good morning and welcome to the news at 3am, it’s your favorite short and cute blogger – Osastheking.

Pay no mind to the opening statement for now, we’ll come back to it in a bit. I hope you had a great weekend?

Now playing: Jonathan McReynolds- Lovin’ me.

This particular song today because it’s exactly how I’m feeling.

And when I can’t even love myself, Lord I thank you for just lovin’ me

Oh, in spite of me, Lord you keep lovin’ me

Lord I thank you for always lovin’ me.

I live by these words because everyday is another day to be fascinated by the unending love of God in my life. You would imagine my shock when I walked into an annual youth retreat and I apparently made every old female adult in the building uncomfortable.

The reason? My hair

I had been lenient enough to cover the hair while the ends stuck out of the scarf. I got tired of the scarf and removed it after a while because I was after all, in my father’s house. People stared, some in admiration and others in utter disgust.

The audacity?

Side talks started filtering into my ears, talks about how I had defiled the house of God with my colored hair. It was here that I realized that I had the option of staying at home for the weekend instead of bringing my hair to a place where the inhabitants couldn’t be classified as target, talk more audience.

Worst still, my glasses had chosen this same weekend to break.

Nobody confronted me directly, but I had become full blown discussion for the old female adults and it had generated to a very heated argument. People were called upon to talk about my hair privately, but not me.

All the while, I was there wondering what would have happened if they had seen this one.

Or this

My dear friend – Ruru stayed as far away as possible from the retreat because she knew what she was going to face and she was not in the mood to face it.

Shades were thrown, dyed hairs were attacked but the carrier never got to be confronted directly until Sunday afternoon when it was time to leave the retreat ground. An old male adult had approached me and stated that he was only approaching me as per the request of the senior female adults.Apparently they were scared that I was now carrying the devil on my head because he resides in colored hair.

They were also concerned that God had stopped residing in me because He didn’t love me anymore because of my colored hair.This was new but not as new as me hearing that my hair meant that I had lost my identity in Christ.

No, I’m not shocked. I’m just mad that you guys that follow me and read my blog posts failed to tell me that God didn’t love me anymore because of my colored hair.

Of course I know the truth and I’ll most definitely be fixing another color for this but I just want to understand;

IS HAIR DYEING A SIN?

IS HAIR DYEING AN UNFORGIVABLE SIN IF YOU THINK IT IS A SIN?

DOES GOD EVER STOP LOVING HIS OWN?

SHOULD MY HAIR BE BLACK AND MY HEART UNPURE SEEING THAT THE HAIR IS NOW A DETERMINING FACTOR OF HOW BORN AGAIN ONE IS?

HOW GREAT WILL YOUR WEEK BE THIS WEEK?

73 replies
  1. Edwin
    Edwin says:

Mehn… It feels good to be the first person to comment again.
    Osas please when next you want to dye your hair, take me, I want to dye my own too.

My week is already looking lit
    Plenty sleep from Monday to Friday afternoon, the Night of Worship on Friday evening 🕺🏽🕺🏽🕺🏽🕺🏽

Let me go back to bed ooo, before they’ll say insomniacs are children of the devil

2. Lope
    Lope says:

Its so funny that there are other things this so called church people should look at,and get concerned with in church.. They are so many black coloured hair people with green/red intentions. Abeg, same reason why my family’s church members attacked me because I wore trousers and I didn’t use scarf to church. One even told my father that they should bring me back to Lagos so that they can monitor my movement😁😁😁… Lemme just go, I am vexing, addiction is there oo!!!! ✌✌

3. Deji
    Deji says:

What we see these days are religious people , all you should be concerned with is being in right standing with God …. not with man, or woman in this case …. and Biko do purple Ibeg… I’m gonna love it 😊…. plus my week will be STRESS………..

4. Dania
    Dania says:

So they were scared of you??? How? Why?

Well dying your hair doesn’t mean you have lost your identity in Christ😂😂. Me i don’t just have the mind to do it

5. Ololade
    Ololade says:

Dear Osas, I will be dying my hair soon so I will know whether God will stop loving me or maybe He’d stop residing in me. My week is already looking stressful 🤦🏾‍♀️🤦🏾‍♀️

6. Tomiwa
    Tomiwa says:

I’ve tried responding to your blog on the comment section but it doesn’t seem to be working. I’m hoping it doesn’t end up posting everything later on.
    I just want to let you know in summary that your hair, doesn’t determine/define what your relationship with God is like and that no, God is joy going to stop loving you because of that. I don’t see anywhere in the Bible that it’s stated dyeing of hair is a sin and I honestly don’t see why it should be considered one. I honestly admire all the hair colours you’ve done because it suits you and you rock it well. All that matters most is the motive behind why you dyed your hair and really it’s no ones business but yours. My week is going to be great because I have the week off from school. I hope you have a great week.

7. Ragbones
    Ragbones says:

Hair dyeing is not a sin at all. And since when did the color of hair determine the love Christ has for you? 😹😹
    Well me too I want to dye my hair I have always wanted to…
    Just because I wore a dress with my neck in view I was chastised
    Well my week started with disturbance 😩😩

8. Blessing Smith
    Blessing Smith says:

Your own is hair abi?..my own is dance oh, them assistant God called me all sort of names but I never stopped dancing and I would never stop..do you, the world would adjust .

9. Blessing
    Blessing says:

Abegi….. Dying hair a sin? I don’t really know about that but for me it doesn’t define who you are, it doesn’t determine if you’ll make heaven or if you are pure of heart…. Frankly I hate old people that do that, this our country and generation sef especially the elders in church can be annoying sometimes but girl I have one thing to tell you,….flunt your hair girl, be you God has come through in mighty ways and he’ll keep coming through… Who are they to judge if God still lives in you or not….let them wait and see the amazing things God in store for you…. Ignore them babes as long as your heart is pure and you are doing the right thing then continue

10. Blessing
    Blessing says:

Abegi….. Dyeing hair a sin? I don’t really know about that but for me it doesn’t define who you are, it doesn’t determine if you’ll make heaven or if you are pure of heart…. Frankly I hate old people that do that, this our country and generation sef especially the elders in church can be annoying sometimes but girl I have one thing to tell you,….flunt your hair girl, be you God has come through in mighty ways and he’ll keep coming through… Who are they to judge if God still lives in you or not….let them wait and see the amazing things God in store for you…. Ignore them babes as long as your heart is pure and you are doing the right thing then continue

11. Abiola
    Abiola says:

I don’t go to church anymore. I could write a very long list as to why I don’t but the backward mentality of so many church goers definitely tops the list.

12. sidechick
    sidechick says:

Can I say something?😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

This has been one of the funniest blog posts I’ve read in a while.
    Someone that dosent have his own life in place would tell you how to live yours.
    I don’t know but I feel its lack of understanding of a lot of things,To be honest I’m pissed off,smiling and angry at the same time writing this.
    And I really want to say a lot of things but I won’t,Let someone confront me about Osas again and I’m bringing the whole of my wrath with me,Thanks.

• osas
      osas says:

I already know who this is before reading to the end. My guy say Na side chick 😂😂😂
      Allow them talk about my hair jare, I’ll also give them my account number

13. Jacqueline
    Jacqueline says:

Dear Osas,
    They’ll talk and talk trust me but it won’t change nothing.
    My cousin kept her Spirogyra green hair for the longesttt.
    People said lots of shiitt , but mannss gave them pepper red later. Half of these people have no mind of their own and their “idea ” of what a Christian should look like is just crazy.

Hook me up with your hair plug.
    Blue would be nice for me this harmattan.
    Cheers!

14. Dami
    Dami says:

They are the Emotional Counsellors to Christ….Do they know that there are actually people who still have their BLACK hair on but already have RESERVED Real Estate in Hell….
    The realistic truth is that.. This is Nigeria… Where Christianity is not practiced…. It has become an institution made with law enforcers….We just have to live with it…..

15. Tolani
    Tolani says:

What you wear or how you appear doesn’t change who you are, it only changes people’s perception based on their own judgemental views/opinions. Please keep giving them topic to talk about.
    I also want to dye my hair just indecisive on the colour

16. Zainab
    Zainab says:

I’m a Muslim and in Islam it is forbidden to dye your hair black, all other colours are allowed as far as I know, but try dyeing your hair another colour, everybody will have something to say. You can’t really please everybody. I feel it is just hair, do what you want with it, it doesn’t determine what is in your heart but I guess Nigerian elders don’t understand that.

• osas
      osas says:

It’s just hair o🤷🏽‍♀️🤷🏽‍♀️ hair that I can decide to wake up and cut. I really hope they get fine because it’s terrible

17. Bisola Williams
    Bisola Williams says:

osas dear, dyeing your hair is not a sin , to my best knowledge it is only when you are old and have grey hair and you try to dye it into black to make people think you are still young that is when i think it is a sin. All these people that think they wrote the Lord’s commandments with him Abegggiiiiii

18. Adetobi
    Adetobi says:

This spiri koko people will not kill me😁😁,Hair dying is not a sin jare and God will not love you less cus you did that…,dnt worry about them jare,they will be fine and i love you dyed hair infact you inspire me to dye my hair buh i never get the mind 😁😁.

19. Mz_onyiiii
    Mz_onyiiii says:

funny how people criticise others for something when they do worse things in their closet……dyeing your hair ain’t no sin dear……

20. GAP TOOTHED
    GAP TOOTHED says:

On every post of yours, I get to download new songs❤ Who do we the mentee do if our mentor suddenly changes? What path do we thread now?
    Dear, only God knows those that worship him genuinely. Hypocrisy gets nobody nowhere..

21. ofm
    ofm says:

Please by the standard of what these guys are talking from, one would think there is an app on play store where by you can use to. Judge or weigh someone’s relationship with the father, John 3 VS 17
    And please I don’t see why the perfect and healed are going to the hospital, when the church is already a place where those who need the father more should come then who are those chasing them away.
    Men will always be men Sha, always quick to judge others and never forgetting that they themselves are not perfect, #SomeWithMighteirSkeletonsWillPretend

22. Rainbow
    Rainbow says:

Dear Osas, it seems to me like you have so many assistant Jesus Christ’s at that retreat that they alone know the exact feeling of God towards you and your amazing hair simply because they are part of the holy spirit. There is no criteria in the bible that exactly stipulates that your hair must be a certain way for your heavenly father to shower love upon you. If that were the case blondes, redheads and those with relaxed hair would simply cease to exist cos they will be smite down with lightning. Your hair colour did not break any of the 10 commandments did it? Next time someone attempts to question you about your hair colour ask to be shown the exact quote in the bible that said The Lord God will limit his love to you for changing your hair colour.

23. Bimbo
    Bimbo says:

So I had to post a comment on your blog for the first time because of this hair issue sha,I sha like the part were you said should your hair be black and your heart unpure,that is what people haven’t come to understand yet,you have no problem with any colour you want on your head sha, just have the right colour on your heart and you will be fine babygirl..

24. Onaope
    Onaope says:

Christians are so hypocritical these days. I was talking to someone and I mentioned that a male chorister in my church has dreads. Next thing I heard ” How can a servant of God do that? How can God use him to minister?” .People often forget that God is only concerned with the our hearts. It’s just like saying because I’m fat or because I’m short God would love me less. Oh and by the way I looooooooove your hair and I’m earnestly awaiting the next colour

25. Ruru
    Ruru says:

All I have to say is that, attention is directed at the wrongest things. Don’t form your own bible verses and impose them on people. Whether you have gold hair brown hair or red hair, God almighty the creator of heaven and earth still and would forever recognize His own.

26. Omataonye
    Omataonye says:

I personally do not think dying your hair is a sin

I do not think it is a sin and if it is it is definitely forgivable

Our parents don’t stop loving us even when we are the most unreasonable person they they know, so how can God almighty stop loving us

People always forget why they are in church, we go to church to serve God and not judge people, because you can’t judge a book by its cover so why tell me I am a sinner because my hair color isn’t what you want expect it to be.

Great and stressful, test😭😭😭

My darling osas people will talk always
    Love your life biko💜

27. Ibukun
    Ibukun says:

It’s an issue with the bias society has created. Imagine saying that your identity is lost because your hair is dyed. What of the people that are actually committing sin and are looking for a way to reach God through the church. They’ll say that those ones were born with identity from the devil baa? Nawa ohhh, God help us all😂

28. Abisoye
    Abisoye says:

Oh well… babe. What can separate you from the love of God?? Sadly they don’t see the sin of judging but the colour of your hair means you have a demon in you, lol. Babes abeg I dey your back always. Someone we both know once called me a dog and a sango worshipper and that I’m in chains because I was wearing an anklet. Guess what? I added 2 more anklets to it after giving him the lecture of His life, of course the next time he saw me with the 3 anklets he said he loved them. You can’t be stupid around me. No time for iranu. If you define my spirituality by a piece of jewelry then all your life as a so called christian is a waste, as you have learnt nothing. May God save us from “assistant Holy Spirits”.

29. Nifemi
    Nifemi says:

Osas ooooo..I went for NYLR jere with my fixed nails colored peach. I wore my rings (3). They’re lucky I didn’t wear five like I do in school. Anywhoo all these women sha made me topic of discussion and sending representatives to come talk to me, talking about moderation and all that. I’m there like your definition of moderation isn’t the same as mine. So you’re telling me to do things according to your standard, whereas Jesus Christ is my standard. As you know…my nails have made me less of a Christian. I’m tired abeg

30. glory
    glory says:

Funny how people think
    I love coloured hair, most of my braids are always coloured but my hair isn’t dyed ,planning to dye it when I go low, I have face so many challenges abt my coloured braids but that doesn’t change my lifestyle with God, but I feel what they don’t feel is the beauty in looking different

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!